Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Some days I feel like The Wrestler

I'm not that old. I'm supposed to be in my prime. But there's this nagging feeling that ageism is creeping. The impending nighttime tide is gently licking my toes as I look at the twilight of my career slowly fading. 

Anyone with a single ounce of perspective will know that's not true. I'm not even 40. And I sound petty. 

And yet.

I don't know. Maybe it's the fact I didn't rise as fast. No portfolio school. So I had to go to the salt mines to learn. I dug my way out. Learning on the job. Didn't get the head start of those who spent the money to get their 'doctorate' in advertising from the famed Miami Ad School. They went to the big shops. The one I had to scrape and claw my way into. I've spent my time watching others do the climbing without doing the work.  

No offense. I know not all ad school kids are pariahs. But I know more than my fair share. Know-it-alls who didn't work like I did. Who didn't grind. Who wouldn't write. And didn't know how to. I'd write circles around them while they rose through the ranks. Outthink them too. Put an idea through its paces. Sally Hogshead the shit out of a single print ad. Sell the shit out of work. What do they teach those kids in portfolio school? How to take credit for other people's work? How to kiss maximum ass while doing the minimum? 

That's what it feels like anyway. 

I know it sounds like I'm bitching but I can't be the only one who feels like they're on the outside looking in constantly. Looking in on CDs who are star fuckers. Agencies who look for award winners and always end up disappointed. Lazy creatives paying for a pass. The basis on which people rise in this industry is part of the problem in this industry. 

Boy, for someone who's supposed to be in his prime. I sound a lot like someone who's past it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Slow and Steady

Two years or so I started going to the gym. It started in the dead of winter in Chicago. I was new in town. Knew next to nobody. So I decide...